Thursday, February 18, 2010

And that’s why I love the snow !

For the past few days, it has been snowing rather steadily and continuously here in Ithaca… and I heard a lot of complaining voices and troubles faces, which was rather surprising for me… I realized soon that popular opinion about this constant snowfall is not similar to what I feel, and I made a list of reasons behind my complete adoration for the snow…

1. Snowfall ( at least for a first-timer like me) is a heavenly feeling. You always see those mythological TV shows wherein gods float on clouds and everything around is white and fluffy. The nature of the landscape in steady snowfall is as close to that as it can get.

2. Snowfall (as against the rains) is SO damn quiet! There is no deafening roar that you have to endure. Instead, you have a gentle caress of feather-light snowflakes, as if mother nature is showering you with happiness.

3. Your belongings and clothes don’t get wet at all ! People living in places like Mumbai would totally understand this point when everytime during monsoons you have to put in painstaking efforts to protect every tiny bit of your backpack and clothes. And yet, invariably, you reach everywhere ( that includes classes, hostel-mess and your own room) with clothes half-drenched and ink in your notebooks doing a randomwalk…

4. Snowfall gives you tons of opportunities to play around, have fun! Having snow-fights, building snow-man, making your firm footprints in nice, thick and clean snowbed, observing beautiful tiny snowflakes and their fractal nature, disturbing beautiful snow-patterns on bushes, looking at huge icicles formed in the vallies and gorges and enjoying the view of frozen water-bodies are just few of the luxuries that this weather offers.

5. Unlike rains, the snow dries out fast. Of course, the snow on the grass (at the sides) doesn’t melt easily, but the walkways and the footpaths are dry the next day after the snowfall. This means that while walking, you don’t have to worry about ditches as puddles ( at least not as much as in the rains) and shoes getting completely wet .

6. Usually snowfall means comparitively milder version of cold. This makes the weather much more favorable when it’s snowing…

7. While walking at night, it’s so beautiful to watch the snow on the sides of the walkways shimmering in the dim glow of streetlights…

Of course, there are some downsides to snowfall like slush and slippery surfaces. It’s unpleasant when it’s windy.. but things like these are too feeble to match any of the perks that it offers…

And that’s why I love the snow !

4 comments:

Saee said...

Nice little "list" !! :)
I would love live in a place with snowfalls too..My love of snow comes from Calvin's snowart!! :)
Nice blog..
Cheers
Saee

Mihir Khadilkar said...

thanks ! :-) Calvin's snow-art is of course legendary !
Thanks again.. I have been following your blog - उन्हाळ्याची सुट्टी (which I got to know about through Shankya's google reader) and I genuinely hope I can write like you some time...

Milind Gadre said...

'disturbing beautiful snow-patterns on bushes ..' :D

I like snow as well ! I guess the trees like it too, they shed their leaves to embrace it even closer :)

liked the blog :)

Mihir Khadilkar said...

मिलिंद :धन्यवाद ! आणि उत्तम कल्पना ! :)